On July 31, 2018, President Trump signed the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act into law. This bill reauthorizes the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) and is referred to as Perkins V.
Perkins V reflects the 100-year federal commitment to Career Technical Education (CTE) by providing federal support for CTE programs and focuses on improving the academic and technical achievement of CTE students, strengthening the connections between secondary and post-secondary education and improving accountability. Perkins V affords states and local communities the opportunity to implement a vision for CTE that uniquely supports the range of educational needs of students — exploration through career preparation — and balances those student needs with the current and emerging needs of the economy.
Program Contacts for Perkins V
Director of Innovation
972-544-3737 ext. 2838
CTE & Advanced Academics Coordinator
972-544-3737 ext. 2839
Perkins V Highlights
- Maintains a commitment to driving improvement through programs of study and includes a robust, formal definition of that term,
- Introduces a comprehensive local needs assessment that requires data-driven decision-making on local spending,
- Involves significant stakeholder consultation and must be updated at least once every two years
- Lifts the restriction on spending funds below grade 7 and allows support for career exploration in the “middle grades” (which includes grades 5-8),
- Defines who is included in the accountability system by including a formal “CTE concentrator” definition
- Focuses on disaggregation of data by maintaining the required disaggregation by student populations, requiring additional disaggregation for each core indicator by CTE program or Career Cluster, and referencing attention to this disaggregation and identified performance gaps throughout the Act, and
- Increases the focus on serving special populations.
Perkins V Resources
Perkins Collaborative Resource Network
Region 10 Perkins V page
Region 10 CTE page
Texas Education Agency CTE page